Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Our First Home

While I am loving being back in Texas, I have to say I absolutely miss our home. It was the first home the Mr. and I have ever owned and while it wasn't perfect, it was perfect for us. That being said, I thought I would share the story and some photos of our first place.

I should have shared these a long time ago, but hey, better late than never, right?!



We found this gem in a new neighborhood in southeast Albuquerque.  If you are in the area and in the market for a new home be sure to check it out. It is a fast-growing, but uber cute little part of town and  it only took us 10 minutes to get to and from work. We also experienced what I think were the best mountain views in Albuquerque and the most spectacular sunsets, if you follow me on instagram you know what I mean.

As we were looking at floor plans and available lots, we happened to run across this beauty that had just been put on the market. It was a custom home and that was nearly done being built. Apparently the original contract had fallen through so we found it at a pretty good price. We knew when we looked at it, it was the home for us. It had what we were looking for, 3 bedrooms, a large kitchen, and a large, open living space.

We went home that night, discussed it, looked at photos and floor plans and prayed about it over a weekend. Finally, Monday morning rolled around and we were ready to put in our offer.


We made a few change requests in our offer since the home wasn't one hundred percent complete. In the end the builder agreed to all of them. They removed the carpet downstairs and laid tile throughout the entire first floor and installed white wood blinds throughout the home. And finally, they changed the ceiling, trim and interior door colors.

Did you know that the standard now is to paint the entire inside of a new home one color? Seriously? The doors, walls, ceilings and trim all matched! Big no no in my book. I didn't want to live in a cave. 

As I mentioned before, it wasn't perfect, but I was beyond blessed to move in to a brand spankin' new home! And it was gorgeous!



The fun part came once we got all moved in! I loved decorating, furnishing and organizing our new home. It is literally what I lived for. I couldn't wait for the evenings and weekends so I could shop, organize and decorate. It seriously just lit my heart on fire!





While we are no longer there, I still love looking back at our first home. We were only there a short time, but I left with so many memories. From family visitors, to Saturday morning walks, and breakfast at Rose's followed by trips to the dog park. We shared nights with some amazing neighbors and afternoons at the pool. We opened our home to our community group at church where we did our best to live out the Gospel in our community each and every day. We celebrated holidays, birthdays and quiet evenings with delicious food and good wine. 

As you can see I'm incredibly thankful for our home. And while I wanted to share my adventure in decorating this home months ago, I figure it's never too late and it gives me motivation to begin sharing more of my adventures with you.

***********

All of the images above were taken by Jim Gross of Virtual Tour Club. He was amazing to work with and took excellent photos of our home!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...