Thursday, February 20, 2014

Contentment Challenge: Week 2 Update

I seriously can't believe we are already through week 2 of the Contentment Challenge (check the original post here if you haven't heard about the Contentment Challenge). When I started the challenge I thought I knew it was going to be hard, but I have been incredibly happy with how it is going. 

So far I'm right on track and couldn't be more thankful to God for the freedom I'm already experiencing. I have been focusing my heart on spending more time in the Word, organizing our home and working on this blog instead of draining my energy hoping, wishing and obsessing over the things I thought I needed. Turns out God has already provided me with everything I need and so much more




Image by Ryan Ray

I look forward to continuing the Challenge over the next two weeks and will be in prayer about whether I should extend the challenge for another month.

As I mentioned earlier, the freedom from needing things has been incredible. I am content to run errands only picking up what I need. I can walk in to Target and be okay totally avoiding the clothing, shoes and accessories (who knew it was possible). I also realize that I enjoy shopping for others more so than buying things for myself, which in and of itself feels like a blessing. I want work harder to focus more resources and energy on caring and loving others before myself. 

I also started a "thankful" journal that I write in each morning after my Bible study. This is something my mom encouraged me to do as a kid. I did it for awhile but it never lasted long term. Most recently my husband encouraged me to do it and I felt it was definitely something I needed. It seems a bit elementary to write down three things you are thankful for, but I know it is a good exercise. And over time it will be amazing to look back on all the big and small ways God has provided for me. It fits nicely in my morning routine and is a great way to start my day - thanking the Lord for everything He has already provided.

Has anyone else done the Contentment Challenge? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...